Pages

Friday 24 October 2014

Worlds post interlude

The other night, I found myself crying in bed. Nothing personal, instead, a book moved me to tears.

I read like it's going out of fashion. I own hundreds of them, in a bulging bookcase with stacks and piles on top and all around it. It has gotten to a sort of worrying level, as I cannot stop buying more, even though I re-read all that I have frequently. I have never gotten on with libraries (to the point of embarrassment when you realise you have lost a book and can't go back, or held on to it for a excruciating length of time) and cannot abide kindles and other readers. I read while eating, commuting..I never have found myself in a 'not reading anything at the moment' phase.

With such an interest, you might imagine I read deep, meaningful works. Heartwrenching biographies, current affairs, deep meaningful books, Booker prize nominees..books that can change your perspective on the world, such is their impact.

No.

I read fiction, glorious, uncomplicated fiction. The only non-fiction I possess are British historical autobiographies which I did manage to devour, but at a much slower pace than the lurid historical fiction versions of the same people. My favourite authors are Philippa Gregory, Liane Moriarty, Sarah Dunant, Michelle Moran, Diane Chamberlain, Kate Morton, Sinead Moriarty, Paul Howard, Maeve Binchy, Hilary Mantel, Alison Weir and C.J. Sansom. My favourite book is The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, which threw me headfirst into the Tudor world and spawned a good 50 other purchases. I re-read it constantly after first finishing it, so much so that it fell apart at the spine.

Very, very few books have physically moved me. So, what brought on the emotion? A Tudor queen coming to grief on the block? A scandalous twist a la Diane Chamberlain/Jodi Picoult?

Nope.

It was Enid Blyton's The Naughtiest Girl in the School, wherein the heroine, Elizabeth Allen, triumphs after a series of struggles of her own making and is lauded in front of the whole school.*sniff*

My favourite books are written for children. The above book was written for an even younger audience than her stalwart boarding school series (complete with MASSIVE print and childish covers that are guaranteed to garner you looks on the bus) and yet, it's just..amazing. Nothing gets me like a fabulously written story, no matter how easy, or quick, to read.

One book stands above all for me, and that is Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery. This book is beyond description and 'well written' doesn't begin to do it justice. I would in fact singlehandedly give it a lot of credit in enhancing my english, spelling and vocabulary levels well beyond my peers when I was in primary school avidly devouring it every few months.

Does anyone else have an ultimate love for children's books? An easy-reading fiction collection that is possibly a little shameful for lack of variety or depth? A love for English boarding school stories that will never die?

I have been battling minor ailments/illnesses for two weeks now, swapping a series of headaches for minor back pain for a cold. It's really put a dampener on posting, and I have a lot of thoughts right now! It's all in my head and will start leaking out tomorrow :)

2 comments:

  1. You've found a companion! I love children's/YA books, especially series. Fantasy is my favorite, and a bit of post apocalyptic as well. I also enjoy historical fiction, especially Medieval Europe. Such delicious intrigue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many cherished books from childhood; the thing is I don't read them anymore, lol. But I love them and their a part of me. Now I read purely adult targeted fiction and non fiction. I have a passion for mythology in particular. Just finished a short story by Louisa May Alcott. I'd say so far in my short life, my favorite book is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

    ....

    Don't judge me! I'm not a creep, it's a great book.

    ReplyDelete